Sunday, February 21, 2010

Sew, very old one! Sew like the wind!

I decided that I'm going to get back into sewing - a hobby I enjoyed a long time ago.


I haven't really sewn (except for an occasional item here or there) for quite a few years.
And since most of the subjects that I want to sew for aren't living in my house anymore, I decided that a dress form would be helpful. But the ones you can buy in the fabric stores or online seem really expensive, so after some encouragement from Rachel, I made my own! (Rachel had seen some instructions for making your own dress forms on a couple different sewing blogs).


A roll of brown packing tape and about half an hour later, this is what I ended up with.







Yep, that's Bekah's figure right there. She had fun pretending she was being mummified, and I ended up with a dress form that will hopefully be helpful as I sew for her while she's at school.

So far in my new sewing venture, I've made a dress each for Abby and Megan (no picture), and I've made this shirt for Megan (I've got another one for Abby in process).





Here are a few of my upcoming projects.







In addition to the dress I've started for Bekah, I'm going to sew a dress for Rachel (she's going to pick out the fabric when she's here in a couple of weeks), and one for myself. Then I want to make some curtains and pillows for the house.



That should keep me going for a few weeks.

3 comments:

  1. Cute top! I want to know where you're going to store the dress form...I already have tons of crafting stuff taking up lots of room.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hahaha, I laughed out loud when I read the title. I think that top for Megan is SO cute! I love it. And Bekah's dress form is lovely. Perhaps you could each make one and mail them to me, so when I get lonely, I can just hug them :-) I can't wait to get my new dress/have you teach me how to make my new dress (ha, like we haven't tried that before).

    ReplyDelete
  3. I commend you for your title, very old one! Hahaha, just kidding, you're not old at all. Will you be tucking my dress form into bed at night and posing it at various other places throughout the house during the day?

    ReplyDelete